The Australian Consulate, as a member of the Consular Corps of Northern Thailand, has been asked by the Governor of Chiang Mai Province to participate in a World Fair 2018. This event is a joint venture between the Governor and Consular Missions based in Northern Thailand to strengthen links between the people and the world community.
The theme is “Around the World in Chiang Mai – Gateway to the World”. Chiang Mai World Fair 2018 will be held from June 22 to July 1, 2018 (over 10 days) at the Chiang Mai International Exhibition and Convention Centre. This year 14 countries will be showcased.
This year Chiang Mai World Fair 2018 will be held jointly with Lanna Expo 2018, a popular annual event which targets Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang and Mae Hong Son provinces and last year attracted over 400,000 visitors to the 10-day event. This year CMWF18 goal, from the Governor, is to showcase world cultures, international products and promote cultural exchange and opportunities for international education and tourism. Lanna Expo promotes trade, investment, and the potential of the North, as well as the Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS), which extends to Thailand’s neighboring countries.
Our Pavilion will have this “Theme” and 3 “Focus Areas”
- Know & Visit Australia
- Tourism information – Coastal, Nature & Destinations
- Destinations – videos. images & 3D video glasses
2. Study in Australia
- Education agents
- Thai Aus Alumni – in the North
3. Australia in Thailand
- Embassy activity, engagement & Consulate Chiang Mai
- Food & products; Consumer goods/services
- Expat Australian in Chiang Mai
The Consulate has been busy liaising with a variety of contacts and reaching out to those involved with Australia in Thailand in a variety of ways. These involve the Australian Embassy in Bangkok Public Diplomacy section; Austrade at the Embassy, Australian Thai Chamber of Commerce in Bangkok and Thai Australian Alumni.
The Consulate is also collaborating with a variety of people for design, decorations, displays, and activities in our booth along with the need for other support & resources. There is a very limited budget provided to deliver our Australian showcase so volunteer assistance is appreciated.
Last year the Consulate participated in the 1st CMWF17 – a 3-day event that attracted over 180,000 visitors. A number of Thai Australian Alumni and Aussies from the Expat Club helped out & it was a lot of fun. You can check out what we did last year here – Showcase Australia.
What will our Pavilion Showcase Have – Planning Considerations
Booth Design & Decorations – Our booth will be 8 m x 6 m or 48 sq meters of space with large backdrop pictures – based on themes/focus areas. Here is a layout of the World Fair booths.
Booth Operations – 10 am to 8 pm – Staffing
- Thai Uni student
- Thai Aus Alumni
- AUS Expat & Consulate Coverage: (11-13); (13-15);(15-17) & (17-19) hours daily
Australia in Thailand – Products & Services
- Taste Australia – Rimping Supermarkets – Australian food product displays
- Product – Blackmores – Aussie brand
- Services – Dollarsmart/Baht Smart – money transfer from Australia to Thailand
- Elephant Parade – Aussie Flag Elephants (promote) Australian Flag Elephant 60cm x 80cm (1)
- Australian Author & books
- Austcham – promotion (banner/hand out)
Know and Visit Australia – Tourism/Culture/Information
- Tourism Australia collateral & pull up banners
- Booth backdrop pictures – (Tourism Australian image gallery)
- Australian information
- Smartraveler materials/Banner
- Australia in Thailand – limited
- Australia booklets – limited
- Australian information brochure
Study in Australia
- Education agents (5 agencies for 2 days each) – banners
- Thai Australian Alumni – promote Alumni & chat to visitors about “Live and Learn in Australia”
Potential Booth Activities
- 3D Goggles (loan from Phuket Consulate) – app on smartphone/table (wi-fi??)
- TV Monitor with video/still picture slideshow – Australia Tourism gallery pictures
Games & Prizes –at nominated times
- Lucky spin wheel
- Aussie Slanguage Test
- product supplier giveaways and Aussie gifts?
Selfie Opportunity/Lucky draw contest
- Use “iconic background” for your picture backdrop
- selfie’s supported with props (toy wombat, boomerang, Aussie hat, selfie frame)
- Kangaroo & surfboard cardboard props for a selfie
- #/tag Australian Pavilion Facebook page
- one after first 3 days, second after next 4 days and one after last 3 days
- Prize: Aussie Flag Elephant
Food sampling – at nominated times
- Anzac biscuits
- vegemite sandwich squares
Aussie symbol Face painting – at nominated times
- 2 painters each weekend (Fri to Sun)
Koala Mascot – photo opp – on Opening day – 22 June 18 and maybe, surprise visits after that.
Hi Aussie Community in Chiang Mai & the North
The Australian Consulate in Chiang Mai has been reaching out to local Australians who have responded very well to “get involved” with our Australian Pavilion at the Chiang Mai World Fair 2018. Our outgoing Booth Hosts are offering about 2 hours of their time on nominated days. The role involves staffing and operating the booth by greeting & interact with visitors, working with a Thai Uni student alongside display staff. Run some booth activity such as food samples, lucky spin wheel and 360 degree Australia.com goggles. Coverage for our hosts ois in 2 hour blocks at the following times: 11-13:00; 13-15:00; 15-17:00; 17-19;00
Our roster of helpers is pretty well full but a few spots remain, so If you want to help out, please in the first instance, make contact with the volunteer Consulate CMWF18 AUS Pavilion Resource Coordinator– who has so kindly agreed to offer her support to assist in the planning & delivery of the Australian Pavilion:
– Leanne Holloway – Email: email@example.com or feel free to speak to Leanne by calling 0873 057818.